Monday, September 22, 2008

Back in the saddle again......

My wife surprised me with a gift, a used Trek 7200 to use as my "station bike". For those of you who do not have a significant other, the following may seem a little bizzar, but to others it will appear totally normal - the gift cost me $80. It went something like this..... "I know you were looking and I found you this, surprise...... Oh, they need $80."

My new (old) bike was one that was left at the local bike shop for more than a year without the previous owner paying, or picking it up. So, if you bike shop says they will sell your bike after some many days, this one will. The $80.00 covered the cost of the work the shop had performed.

After taking the bike for a spin I found out why no one had picked it up from the shop. The bike had been wrecked and the front suspension fork was bent and the handle bar is a little bent. I replaced the bent fork with the one from my old Montique so now I have a Trek hybrid with a 700c rearwheel and a monster mudder 26 inch front wheel. I raised the stem an extra inch to compensate for the smaller front wheel/tire. There are also a good number of scratches on plastic parts to show the bike slide on the ground a little when it was wrecked.

I bought 7 feet of 3/8 inch chain from Home Depot. It took a while for the checkout people to understand the chain was $9.00, not $110.00 - they tried to charge me by the inch, not the foot as it was actually priced - I don't have good expereinces at Home Depot - this was a bad one. I also got a good stout lock.

Today, I rolled down the hill to the train station and locked my new (old) bike to the rack in between some other "beaters". Let us see how long this one lasts.

No comments: