Monday, August 01, 2005

August 1 - Scooters, Commuters, and Post Office

Happy August!

Today's commute to work - 1 hour!!!

On my ride in today, I stopped at the Mamaroneck Post Office to mail some packages for my side business (I buy and sell used books). The Mamaroneck PO has extended hours, now I know why. It takes so long for the clerks to do anything that they must have had to extend the hours just to do their normal work load. There were two people in front of me on line and it took twenty minutes to process one money order and two letters, then it took ten minutes to process my four little packages. It took over 30 minutes for normally only takes 10 minutes. I am going back to the Larchmont Post Office from now on.

I have seen a lot more motor scooters on the road, mainly being ridden by older individuals. With gasoline costing as much as it is, I am not surprised to see more people riding scooters. I just hope the scooters, with fewer air pollution controls, don't start becoming more of a problem than a solution to high gas prices as has been seen in some countries where scooters replaced bicycles and increased air pollution has been linked to scooter use. Considering the normal scooter trip is short, perhaps electric scooters are the better choice when buying one.

There are more bike commuters on the road. I don't think it is the warm weather, because it is too hot and humid these days. I am suspecting the $1.00 increase in gasoline price during the past 12 months has more to do with the increase in bike riders. Part of my observation is actually seeing more and more bikes on the road. The other part of my observation is seeing more and more bikes chained to parking meters, lamp posts, and trees. There are all sorts of bikes out on the road. Chain-store specials with names I'd never seen before, old name brand mountain and road bikes. Today I saw an old Raleigh in great condition. Now is a case where more (bike commuters) is better.

No comments: