Monday, July 25, 2005

$2.67 per gallon regular gasoline

Almost half way through the summer, and I have only reached 20% of my goal to bike commute to work 42 days this summer (that's from June through September, and not easy considering I am only working 62 days during this period). I'll just have to mount up more!

I noticed gasoline has reached $2.67 per gallon this past weekend. As such the pay back on the electric conversion kit will be even sooner. Based on the cost of gasoline and tolls only (what I call my variable costs), and not including savings from reduce wear and tear on my vehicles, the exercise benefit/health, or environmental benefits, I have avoid spending $40.00 in gasoline and $12.00 in tolls by bike commuting. I have bike commuted 12 days out of 38 days during the past 2 months (or 32% of the possible times I could bike commute). My average cost avoidance is $4.30 per day. Based on today's gasoline prices, I need to bike commute 80 more days to pay back my cost for the electric conversion kit I am using on my bicycle.

Over the weekend I bike commuted errands three times (this is not calculated in my bike commuting costs). The Post Office/bike store/hardware store on Saturday, the bagel store Sunday morning, and Sunday afternoon the pharmacy and grocery store. The car, minivan, and truck stayed in the driveway.

No comments: