Monday, June 20, 2005

Last Week

Last week the new charger arrived from Wilderness Energy. I was on-call so I had the Company truck all week so it really didn't matter much. Two days were above 105 with bad ozone so I didn't attempt to ride. One day I was in New York City first thing for a meeting, another day I reported to a service center too far away to ride (40 miles) to for a 7:00 AM presentation, and then one day I pulled an all-nighter cleaning up an oil spill from a lightening strike that took out an oil filled pole-mount transformer (what a mess).

There was little time for riding until Friday. I used the e-bike to run errands Friday afternoon. I hooked the Burley trailer to the e-bike to haul the groceries. The trip was under 4 miles so I motored most of the way.

Saturday, the girls had their softball championship playoff game (they won - undefeated all season) and due to some logistical issues I ended up riding my 7 year old to the game in the trailer. Most of the trip was downhill but the motor helped on the uphills. I don't think it took us any longer to go the 3 miles on the e-bike as it would have by car because we pretty much paced traffic the whole way. After the game we went to Dudley's, a local bar with some o.k. food on a pier in the harbor - the fries are good for feeding the seagulls. After a "barge burger" and a pitcher of beer I peddled home - mostly uphill. The motor really helped here, but I did notice the batteries were not putting out as much by the time we got home. I figure round trip was 7 miles and the total weight with me, bike w/motor and batter, and trailer with 7 year old was about 400+ pounds. So, considering the amount of uphill, less than sober condition of me, all the weight, and the amount of throttle I used, 7 miles is not too bad a range for the 12 Amp Hr 36 volt battery pack.

No comments: