Thursday, June 02, 2005

Day 1 - 7.5 miles in 35 minutes to work

I am working the overnight shift. I rode my hybrid ped-electric e-bike. The battery is charging as I work. Note: I need to flip the thumb throttle and place it on the other side of the handlebar to reduce stress on my thumb and carple tunnel.

Today's was a pleasant ride. I noticed I made better time going through down-town areas than did the cars and trucks I passed along my route. I noticed a little road rage when one driver expressed discussed that I passed her for a fourth time (slow and steady rules!).

Even thought today was humid, I peddled the entire way using the electric on flats and up hills, and with the electric assist I didn't break too much of a sweat. My motor is "brushed", meaning there is a mechanical contection between the motor and the axle which is a source of internal drag. The drag is quite noticeable on the flats and up hills, but I find sending a bit of current through the motor eliminates the sensation of drag, and it makes peddling way easy. Essentially, the motor is on continuously except for going down hills.

I am still trying to get a sense of how long/far a battery charge lasts. So far, the farthest between charge distance has been 10 miles and there has been plenty of charge to get me back up to the top of the hill I live on.

Hybrid ebikes are awesome. Mine started life 15 years ago as a Canandale mountain bike that was a raffle prize from a local beer distributor. The frame has "Bud-Lite" stickers all over it. The bike served as my station bike for years until last week when my Wilderness Electric conversion kit came with a 1000 Watt hub motor and 36 volt 12 amp hour battery pack. My commute time is back to where it was when I rode the same distance on my Trek 400 road bike (that was 60 pounds ago), and I was way-less sweaty.

Why ped-electric hybrid? 1) I can. 2) This week gasoline prices are $2.25 per gallon. 3) I believe it makes a difference.

A note on the conversion process: I have found most local bike shops (LBS) don't really care much for do it yourselfers (d-i-y) like myself, and none of the dozen or so local shops I went to was knowledgeable or helpful with my conversion. My conversion required some work on the fork. I had the work done at a local custom motorcycle shop - they can relate to motors and two wheels.

My wish list includes a beefier 40-spoke rear wheel - perhaps one built for a tandem, up the voltage to 48 volts, lower the batteries - to lower the center of gravity, changes the batteries from sealed lead-acid to NiMH to reduce weight, extend range, and increase the lifespan of the battery, and puncture-proof AirFree tires.

No comments: