Thursday, March 01, 2007

$25 Million?

Hello March!

For the past few days I have been having reoccurring thoughts about winning the Virgin Earth Challenge prize for demonstrating a commercially viable design which results in the removal of anthropogenic, atmospheric greenhouse gases so as to contribute materially to the stability of Earth’s climate.

Winning the prize is too simple, just prohibit cars and give everyone a bicycle. The design already exists!

I am actually disappointed in the contest because I feel the premise is to award non-sustainable designs for gadgets to scrub the atmosphere so mankind can still live our unsustainable lives and continue to pump pollutants into the atmosphere.

What is really needed is a paradigm shift from unsustainable growth to sustainable living, and the basic design of the bicycle is perfect to start the transformation required to make this shift. For example, if the bicycle, e-bike, or whatever variant were to immediately replace personal motor vehicles there would be an immediate reduction in negative impacts to the atmosphere. Gone would be the tons of carbon dioxide and other toxics gases we pump into the atmosphere for each mile of roadway driven. Also gone would be the energy requirements and resources needed to support the production and use of personal motor vehicles, and well as the associated gaseous toxins. Further eliminated would be the unsustainable energy policies, dependence on foreign resources, failed foreign policies, and the fallen and maimed youth fighting pointless wars protecting finite and likely trivial natural resources. The spiral of the effect each change makes compounds the benefit to the planet and helps move mankind toward sustainable living.

I could go on, but I am satisfied I made my point that the bicycle is the design for a better, safer, and healthier world. Now show me the money so I can go out and buy bicycles to give to people who share my visions.

No comments: