Saturday, August 27, 2005

August 27 - Overnight Shift: Biked

Great afternoon. Not too hot, not too cool, and not too humid. Of all the cars and trucks I shared the road with, there were only two notable boneheads - it is good to have a loud bell.

I am finding the more I bike commute, the more I want to bike commute, and the more I need to. When I don't ride, inside myself I get this burning feeling, a strong desire, almost like being caged and knowing that just on the other side is freedom, a potential for euphoria, this is very distracting and is occupying more of my mind than I can afford to allow it to.

Academically, I am an Environmental Scientist and clearly understand the cause and effect humans have on their environment, and I know bicycling with electric power-assist is one of the most efficient machines for personal transportation; this deserves a thesis on to itself. Now with gasoline prices being as high as they are (today I saw $2.89 9/10 at a gas station near the office) the economics are clear. I am avoiding hundreds of dollars of transportation costs by using an e-bike instead of my car, truck, or mini van (yes, I own 3 vehicles - 1 is for sale). These are easy justifications to satisfy my need to know by riding I am doing the right thing.

Hard is explaining the mental aspect associated with physically feeling better, but I do. My mind is clearer, I am more alert at work, my clothes fit better making me feel more comfortable, and I feel encouraged to do more now I have better endurance. My muscles ache, my wind is better (I am starting to you use stairs when previously I only used the elevator), and I feel good.

No comments: